Sunday, January 20, 2013

Has it been ten years already?

Where does the time go?

It has been ten years since I joined the 501st and so much has changed for me in terms of my geekdom, personal and public life.  Looking back, I am so thankful that I have met and trooped with some wonderful people and have made some wonderful friends.  I had bought Guard 1, on a whim on EBay after seeing one of my friends in Illinois post pictures of his FX Stormtrooper online and through Fan Force.  Granted, I had no clue what I was doing at the time, because Guard 1 looked so awful that I refer to it as my Star Wars Holiday Special and any pictures that remain of it I want to burn.

Yet, it was the start of a wonderful journey that has taken me through three guard costumes and now has branched out to Rebel Legion and Doctor Who costumes.  Granted, ten years ago I was hovering around 300 pounds and on the brink of self destruction and coming to grips that yes, I was a geek, I was living at home at the time and I had no major plans other than transferring to a four year university and getting a degree in Social Studies Education.

Flash Forward ten years, third Royal Guard and my favorite,  teaching Second Grade, just about to finish my Masters in Elementary Education, expanded into an Episode III Padme', Amy Pond and looking at doing a Shadow Guard, Biker Scout, or TK as my next Imperial Costume and a Captain Janeway, Season 4-7 costume.    Life is pretty good and I'm so thankful and blessed to have such wonderful friends and family that have helped me around.

A few weeks ago at the Augusta Riverhawks event, a friend of mine from the 501st Tom Gardner, asked me what my most memorable troops were and what are the ones that were the worst.  Basically, what stood out in my mind.  I've always enjoyed Symphony Events, seeing that I love music and that I love anything John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith.  The charity ones are also the ones that I love the most as I enjoy helping others, cons again see some of my earlier blogs on that.  I do enjoy going to them but I don't participate much, parades definitely love those.

The most memorable are the death troops (2 or more miles) at parades.  In fact the Death Troops are the most memorable.  My first Death Troop I marched for two miles in the rain, sleet and snow with Garrison Tyranus in 2009,  The most recent death troop was the Laurinburg Christmas Parade 2012, where I did my guard and thinking we were going to be marching four blocks at most we ended up marching three miles and my neck has been a mess ever since and overly sensitive.  That's why for those of you that know me I haven't worn my guard yet this year because my neck is extremely sensitive due to an incident back in June.  However, I am planning on wearing the guard at the Carolina Gamer's Summit and taping my neck so that way I don't get too uncomfortable (also planning on doing a repaint since I have a bad chip near the point at the bottom).

So why troop?  Because it's fun.  At my first troop back in 2003 I didn't have a lot of fun because I was socially awkward and shy.  Now, it's not a big surprise that I openly talk and come out of my comfort zone to talk to people.  I'm slowly coming out of my shell with my new Padme costume and slowly but surely I'm getting used to her and coming out of my shell and out of hiding as Tom has put it.  To be honest, I'm enjoying Padme a lot more than the guard because my face isn't hidden from the world.  Whereas, the guard I am so used to hiding it's not even funny.

I do want to take this moment to say that yes, my costuming and being a member of the 501st is here to stay.  I enjoy it and hanging out with all my friends and look forward to more years of trooping with my friends and extended family.  I want to say thank you to the Carolina Garrison, for making my tenth anniversary with the 501st Legion memorable at the Riverhawks Game a few weeks ago.  I also want to say thank you to the Legion Founder and his wife,  Albin and Kathy Johnson for allowing me to hang with them for a few hours on the drive back from Augusta and for all the kind words and geek moments we had at Lunch.  I am really grateful to have such good friends and cool people to hang around with.

On another note, I got to troop again last night in Padme' at the Fayetteville FireAntz game.  Though the team lost we had a great time and I inducted a few new people into trooping and the expectations set forth by the 501st.  One person was a new member and already a great friend, Gene Peacock, who is from Goldsboro and the other two CapeFear Stromtrooper who is finishing his TK, and Steve Deeluw who is finishing his Darth Maul and wore my guard last night.  I also had a great time hanging out with Chad Pulliman aka Obi-Wan, Ryan Ricks, Bill Lane, Ernie and Carolyn Ruffin, Cory, Tom Gardner, and Ken Jordan all of whom I've trooped with for years.

It was a great time, a lot of pictures were taken and I can't wait to troop again with these people.  YOU ALL ROCK!!!  Again, for a ten year anniversary year this year is going to be the best!!!


Here's to another ten years of doing what I love to do!!!


-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment