Saturday, October 25, 2014

Cosplay/Costume Celebrity: The Entitlement Mentality and Why It Needs To Stop

Thanks to shows like The Big Bang Theory,  Face Off, King of the Nerds,  My Big Fat Geek Wedding, Heroes of Cosplay, the costuming/cosplay/comic con community has boomed in recent years.  More and more conventions or cons, have seen an increase in their numbers as the geeks have finally come out of the geek closet so to speak.  It's great to see all the attendance at cons and the fandoms represented, everything from the Comic genres to Horror and the usual Star Wars/Star Trek has been represented heavily at cons across the country.This includes the increase in fans flying their Geek flags and dressing up as their favorite character or an interpretation of them.

It's not uncommon to go to cons and see people dressed up as their favorite character these days, this was led by originally by the Star Trek and then eventually the 501st and other costuming groups.  In fact, the 501st has become one of the biggest costuming groups, if not the biggest group in the world with it's high standards of costuming and conduct by it's members.  Now being enforced with it's agreement with LFL/Disney, along with it's sister club the Rebel Legion.  Other costuming groups have sprung up around the world celebrating everything from Doctor Who to comics to Stargate and anime groups.   

In addition, to the uprising of the costuming groups and the changes that come with the popularity of shows, more and more people are attending cons.  Conventions such as San Diego Comic Con, DragonCon,  New York City Comic Con, Katsucon, and others across the country have seen record number of fans and are making huge profits off of the fanbase.  However, with the trend of the growing con, a sector of the Costuming/Cosplay community has grown which is Cosplay/Costume Celebrity.

The term of which I'm specifically speaking fall into two general categories:  the ones who spend hours on costumes and are instantly flooded by photographers aching for a shot and those who dress in provacative/risque costumes and again attracted by photographers and sometimes the wrong crowd.   To those of you reading this blog, you're probably thinking "You're just jealous Jane."  Maybe I am, or maybe I'm trying to point out a flaw in our society that has transferred over to the hobby.

 With shows like Heroes of Cosplay, the Cosplay Celebrities that fall into this category spend hours researching and building their craft.  Some of these people have amazing costumes and do it for the fame.  Often because their costumes are top notch, they are automatically invited as a Cosplay Celebrity and guest all expenses paid in most cases by the Con itself.  Therefore, many costumers who are new to the craft (five years or less) are moving to their level, however, I've noticed that some of the newest cosplayers want that instant fame and fortune that the Celebs have.

I believe this stems from the societal problem that we are seeing with the Millennial Generation and younger kids "entitlements".  Yes, I said it and I"m not afraid to speak why I feel this way and present evidence to support this.  In this current generation, many children have grown up with the expectation that everything is going to be handed to them on a silver platter.  Mommy and Daddy (if they grew up in a two parent household)  will buy them the latest I-Phone, Gaming System, best clothes or let them enroll in all sorts of programs.

These children, most likely did not have an after school job or did chores growing up.  I remember seeing kids like this during my Senior Year of High School back in 2001, when I still had to do dishes and work my butt off to help my family as we moved from Michigan to North Carolina.  I had to do my chores in order to earn the right to drive the car to Walmart to help out the family.  Once I graduated and started working at the good old Days Inn as a Desk Clerk, I had to pay for my car and my car insurance.  Granted, my parents paid for my Bachelor's Degree and my college expenses, they didn't have to because I didn't earn it but they did it out of the goodness of their hearts and I thank them.

In 2002, I purchased my first Royal Guard with my own money and started to regrow my Star Wars collection with some of my savings.  I did not ask mommy and daddy to buy my Royal Guard, I earned it and paid for it out of the blood, sweat and tears of my work.  I joined the 501st and after earning money, I started to attend events and conventions.  I paid my way in and I didn't expect to get fame or fortune and if I couldn't afford things I didn't buy them, period.  It wasn't that I didn't want them it's because I couldn't afford them, no one was going to buy those things for me and some stuff I wasn't interested in.  This has been a trend since I have now acquired or earned three Star Wars costumes with my own money, if I can't afford to go then I simply don't go.  I don't expect to go and I won't go because I can't afford it and I can learn to live with it.  I'm not entitled to go to any con, I have to earn the right to go that con through hard work.

So what does my own life have to do with entitlements?  Hang on there's more.  I had lapband surgery in 2011 and lost 120 pounds towards improving my health.  Do you think my parents paid for that? Not a dime, I paid everything myself and glad that I did because I worked for it.  I earned it and I felt good at the time, still do about paying for it because it opened up new costumes and new things for me.

The point I'm trying to make about the first part of the Cos Elite is that you are not entitled to free stuff at cons, plain and simple.  I'm so sick of people thinking because they were on a show like Face Off  or Heroes of Cosplay thinking that they are entitled to do whatever and whenever they want at cons.  I heard stories of one cosplayer/costumer who was featured on this show, snagging some popular spots in and around DragonCon/SDCC/Katsucon and other cons to get pictures.  Who told them they are entitled to take those spaces?  I'd really like to know, just because you are celebrity doesn't mean you are entitled to take away from other congoers experiences or fun.  Did the Con Staff specifically tell them we get to shut down this area because you are a Celebrity?  I can understand photographers going to them, they are celebrities but still that doesn't give you the right to act like an elitist snob!

Granted at this last DragonCon, I attended it in my new River Song costume and got tons of pictures.  However, I paid my way in, paid for my share of the hotel room, paid for my gas and food.  I didn't ask my friends to pay for me, I paid for everything including two celebrity autographs and a new lightsaber.  I was not entitled to anything at that con, nor at LibrariCon in Fayetteville, NC the previous day.


The second point is the rise of risque/provocative cosplayers who think that they are entitled to attend cons for free or get free stuff. These are the ones that go to cons and run around in scantily clad versions of popular costumes.  I'm talking about those who wear the sexy "Wolverine" costume or "Supergirl" costume.  The photographers flock to them like they are the hottest things.  Yeah, they are the hottest things but because they are getting that attention, they think the are entitled again to get free things at cons or attend them for free.  That's not how cons work...and that's not how this hobby should work.

Third.  As a mentor to new costumers, I had one tell me that they will not do NC Comic Con if they don't get to meet John Borrowman or any celeb that they want to see.  Really?  I think just going there for the Con experience is enough and they should be grateful that they earned the privilege to attend and have fun.

Now why am I saying this has got to stop?   For one, I'm seeing a lot of people throw insults like kindergarten kids on the playground.  I'm also seeing that elitist mentality spread in the costume clubs that I'm in, and that drains from the fun legion wide.  My mentality "Shut Up and Troop" not to mention that little bit of fun.  I did an event on Seymour Johnson and the Fayetteville Star Wars Reads Day these past few weeks and I had a blast?  Why?  In that little group, all the costumers we weren't elitist we weren't demanding and we certainly had a fun time doing what we did.  We all got along, no one was better than the other and personally, we all know each other so well that it's what the experience should be.  FUN.







No comments:

Post a Comment