Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gregorian Chants,Beethoven and Halo???

As I was watching the latest episode of Doctor Who tonight, I kept thinking back to an earlier blog where I wrote about the Music Geeks.  I am very much a music geek though I don't play any instruments now I am very much a fan of soundtrack music, having just downloaded the Knight Rider theme earlier this week.

There is something about hearing an old Gregorian Chant, Handel, Beethoven, J.S. Bach that gets me stirring.  Every time I hear a Gregorian Chant, I am reminded of an old dusty monastery or cathedral lit up with candles at night time with monks walking through it.  Handel, automatically I think the oratorio Messiah having heard it in many performances including ones my dad usually sings in every 2-3 years and now yearly with his choirs.  For Beethoven, I love his Ode to Joy or Ninth Symphony hearing the choral strands and I want to thank my elementary music teacher Mr. Kleckner for getting me hooked on the classical music.

Since joining band in fifth grade, I have developed a keen sense of hearing for knowing which composer is which.  For example, I can tell that certain harpsichord  runs means that it's more than likely a Handel piece.  Certain violin pieces and concertos lean towards Bach, and Beethoven ...old Beets as I call him is just a legend.

Going back to the gaming music, there has been some epic gaming music coming out in games such as Halo and Skyrim.  Skyrim being my favorite game music of all time with the vocals sounding like something out of a viking or medieval time frame though music back then from a historical standpoint was different.  Still, I like the vocals on it.

Overall, I like hearing choral and classical music that is related to the different time periods and some of it I'm  sure has been represented in the different genres.  I know on Star Trek: The Next Generation  or any of the newer Star Trek series all they have to do is hit a button and boom you have a classical tune or theme playing from the computer.  No doubt it's the same in other shows but still instrumental music can have an overall soothing effect on the Geek Minded.

Till next time,

Jane

1 comment:

  1. If you like Skyrim's music, look up Lindsey Stirling's version of the opening theme

    ReplyDelete