Friday, June 14, 2013

A long long time ago in a Raleigh far away (Wierd Al concert)

That was totally wicked!!!

The 501st was once again invited to be up on stage during Al's encore of The Saga Begins and of course the call for troops was put out.   Granted,  I didn't get to troop in costume because they didn't want guards (we are low on the totem pole of trooping) but I did get to help wrangle and take pictures for our guys that were trooping this event.

The fun part besides helping the guys suit up and troop was getting to hear his music live.  Granted, I know he writes parodies but they were funny.  I was hoping to hear two of my favorite songs besides The Saga Begins,  Amish Paradise and Ebay.  Al, delivered and his show made me laugh which is something that I need these days since I've been dealing with a lot in my life.  Not to mention feelings for guys which they have started to notice me since surgery.  Anyways, back on topic.

So being a 501st member,  I was able to wrangle for our group backstage which they did rehearse for their small part in Saga Begins.  I was so happy to help out and watch them rehearse backstage along with Gene's wife Dee and his oldest daughter.  I have some great pictures of them rehearsing in our small but hot dressing room and yes, Gene did stand in for Al during the rehearsals which got me laughing.  Granted, people said I didn't look happy to be wrangling but I was!! I have that silent but deadly look about me and yes though I didn't get to troop in the guard I was guarding my troops!!!

So we got to watch some of the show from the side but because of Fire Codes we were asked to either go have a seat or go somewhere else.  We went back to the dressing room and about an hour into the show everyone suited up.  This is where wranglers play a vital role since TK's can't bend over, Boba, or other characters so if they needed shin guards, I got them, if they needed me to adjust neck seals, put on back plates, backpacks and other things.  We even had a missing trooper so out into the crowd I went to go to look for him and he made it in time to be on stage with the others.  Before they went on stage I really got a great shot of the guys backstage about to go on before I found my way up to the balcony at that point Al performed Amish Paradise and I enjoyed every single second of it.


Finally, after a few more songs the guys came on stage with Chewie, we had troopers, Vader, Chewie and Boba and they were a hit.  I was cheering for Al but I was also cheering for our guys and though I got some shots of them on stage, they weren't that great.  Anyways, they were a hit on stage with Al and I loved watching our troops on stage with Weird Al doing their trooping thing as I call it.

After Saga Begins they went to the lobby where they took pictures and they looked great.  I'll have to come back and edit this post when my photobucket will be cooperative and I can finish uploading the rest of the pictures.  When we got back to the dressing room and suited down Al and his manager came to thank us and we got autographs and pictures with him.

Overall, this event was one of my favorites even if I didn't get to troop it!!

-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment