Sunday, May 12, 2013

Geekdom at Work

"Yeah I'm gonna need for you to come in on Saturday too, mmm that would be great ok?"

There is a fine line between our Geek life and our Work/Family life.  Sometimes the line becomes blurred or doesn't exist.  However, I was thinking of this because I was teaching my class about Barbara Morgan, the first teacher in Space.  I also had them pay respects to Christa McAffluie the original Teacher in Space Candidate that died in the Challenger explosion.  I got really excited about teaching my kids about the Space Shuttle program as in my spare time in addition to my usual fandoms, I like to study Volcanoes and Space in my spare time.

I found myself many times referring to the shuttle program as it's STS-designation and explaining what went into a launch, orbital entry, re-entry and preparations for new flights.  I really got into it and even caught myself humming the Star Trek theme which for some reason, when talking about the NASA Space Programs (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Shuttles) comes to mind rather than the Star Wars theme.  Anyways, at work I do use a lot of fandom/geekisms to get through the day.  Granted, I can't do some of the more PG-13 stuff because I teach Elementary students but yes, I have used Doctor Who, Star Wars, Star Trek,  and other geek references when I'm teaching.  Sometimes, when  I teach I find myself slipping into The Doctor's personality, including the Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh personalities.  For example, I have used Allonsy, Wibbly Wobbly and Fantastic in the fashion of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors.  I have also used Star Wars references and even wear my Celebration lanyard around my neck with my minuature Anakin hanging from it.  At one time, I had my Yoda on my desk along with ET and constantly during some lessons I play the John Williams music.

There have been times when I have subconsiously taken my Sonic Screwdriver into work and yes I've hidden it from the kids but I guess I needed something to keep me occupied.  I know that some of you who work in cubicles or in offices have your office decorated with items from your favorite fandoms.  I know a few of my friends have their cubicles decorated Star Wars style, some comic style and some who have Lord of the Rings memorabilia.  I think if I had a cubicle I would paint my stapler red as a homage to Office Space.

Heck, if I could to teach I'd walk into work dressed as The Doctor, or a Jedi, or someone to get the point across to my kids about the lesson they are to learn.  Still, I think the geekdom/fandom parts of our lives are starting to catch up to us at work and as long as it doesn't violate dress code or workplace rules I think it's ok to be a geek at work.

-Till Next Time,

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment