Friday, March 29, 2013

Epicness in a Hockey Game

Phew!!

Spring Break has finally hit and I'm able to take a break from work and actually post something.  No I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth.  I've been so busy with work that it's been difficult to find time to actually post and update this blog.

The last time I updated, I told you about the Hockey Game that was coming up to feature 20 Star Wars characters and R2-KT.  Well the hockey game has come and gone and it was an Epic Night for all of us involved.  First, we had the 501st table set up with RL gear and 501st gear, as well as KT's notebook.  I love that little droid and what she stands for because I remember back in the day trooping to help save Katie's life and how the Garrison supported and rallied behind Albin during his most difficult time.  In addition, the Legion went all out to help him so really anytime KT is with us, it reminds me of our mission and her mission.



The big highlight was the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin, which I spent all but three minutes rehearsing my part which is the fall and staying still for two minutes on the ice.  Chad, aka Obi-Wan or as I call him the Jedi Knight Rider, said that I was fretting for three weeks and worried myself to death.  Guilty!!! I did because my knees are not the greatest and my neck was still bothering me from the crap I endured last year at the end of school. However, in the final rehearsal I did a pretty good fall and not only that I kept watching Chad and Cory practice their routine from the floor.  I did it so that way they could watch their boundaries and from the rehearsals I knew that the duel was going to be epic.

So we went up top after the rehearsals to the control box where they play all the music and special effects and they had the Scene already wired to play simultaneously at the beginning as Cory and I did the abridged choke scene followed by Chad coming onto the ice.  During this time, my stomach was doing knots because I didn't know how I would do the drop especially with that bad left knee.  Also, they had the epic music for when Vader would go on the ice and drop the puck and to introduce the players.  All of it was St. Patty's theme and all of it was Star Wars themed.




We then went downstairs, suited up and came up top to greet the fans who were coming in to see the game. The temperature was warm outside so a few of us went outside to wander since Vader, Chewie and KT were getting all the love. My best friends Susan and Kim were dressed as a Jedi and Aalya Secura, we had Mandos, Stormtroopers, Tuskens, Scout Troopers and a few other characters there.


 Out of the Episode III crew I went out first and yes I didn't get much recognition which I knew, but it felt good to be outside and in the fresh air among the patrons.  Steve, who is a friend of mine from the 105th was also outside in my guard and he taunted me a bit which was funny.  Chad and Cory eventually followed and so they got a lot of pictures outside.



Five minutes before the game, two groups of characters split up and went either down on the ice or up top into the stands.  We saw the puck drop by Vader, the characters welcoming the FireAntz on the ice and then the start of the game.  During the first intermission, was the duel and yes I was nervous about making my cues but once I was "choked" by Anakin things went smoothly and the duel looked great.  Kudos to both Chad and Cory for a great duel with only 7 hours of training.  Below is the master video put together by Chad of three different videos from the duel and the other characters in action.

Afterwards, we went back up to the stands and did a dance off with a section.  We also went back down to the ice and walked it with the kids before we took our group pictures downstairs.   After the game, the majority of us went to Red Robin and ate dinner outside.  I also got measured for Luke in the parking lot at night, under the lamp.  That's a story that I'll save for another time but overall, it was a great event.

The highlight of the night other than the duel was the winner of the Jersey Raffle.  He was a MAW child who had beaten his illness and won it.  I tell you it really made the night knowing that he won the jersey.





Again till next time!!

-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment