Monday, February 11, 2013

105th Con

This is a shoutout to the members of the 105th "Vader's Fist Pump".  For those you who think this is an offshoot of the 501st, Mandolorian Mercs or Rebel Legion, it's not exactly that.  However, this is a prop building/costuming group that was formed to help people get into other costuming groups like the Rebel Legion, 501st, Halo Builders, Anime, Steampunk and Marvel groups. Anything you need help with these guys and girls can help you or point you in the right direction or show you how to make it yourself.

Their founder James Rippe aka "Formal Vader" started this group two years ago on a whim and it has grown exponentially over the past few months.  I joined back in May or June of this past year and though I don't have much prop building or sewing experience, I love to go to build parties just to see what others are working on.  I also love to go for the socialization and just to hang around good friends and talk all things geek.

Though people that know me know that I am very shy, observant and don't talk much.  It takes a lot for me to talk at any event and I generally sit back and watch.  It's just part of my nature, I'm a person that takes it all in.

Yesterday, to celebrate the 105th's second birthday, they held a Mini Con in which I sat in and co-hosted a panel with my friend Kenya Thompson on Female Geeks and Cosplayers or as Formal puts it "Cosplay Chicks". We held the con at the usual place, not at a convention hall or center, but at the build headquarters for all of the build parties, Formal's house.   For those of you that wondered what costume I wore to this con, I went with Amy Pond from Doctor Who, Series 6 "The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon"   Kenya went as Tony Stark from Iron Man and we addressed everything from cosplaying, to geekdom, being African American in costume, to the weight issues.  Everything that I have mentioned in this blog we discussed though I'm not sure if I got my point across as well as I should've but I do know that people liked the panel so we did something right!!

Afterwards, there were a few other panels such as Costuming for Noobs, the 105th Game Show and Photos and Photography.  Also, I had the chance to talk to a few of the 105th members and they are doing an X-Men group.  I have always loved X-Men but with my extra skin and thighs, spandex based costumes off of the comics aren't for me.  Despite, the rushed and unappealing storyline for X3: The Last Stand,  I am going to join the X-Men group as Dark Phoenix from X-Men 3.  Granted, the movie wasn't what I wanted because at the end of X2, I wanted and hoped for the big flamey fire bird but didn't get it.  However, I am doing this costume because I love X-Men, two I think I can pull it off and three Tina and several others pointed out that I could pull her off.  I have that quiet, silent way that was portrayed in the movie but I can be very fiesty or quirky when agitated.

Also, I'm for other people doing the same costume because I have so many other things planned coming down the line Luke Skywalker, Aqua Georgette Padme', and Avengers Bruce Banner to go with Kenya's Stark.  Still, I had a great time talking X-Men and future projects even though I don't have the slightest clue on how to sew or put together simple things.  I even have trouble halving paper for my Second Grade class at work, imagine me cutting fabric (YIKES!!).

The panels were funny especially the Game Show, the Costuming for Noobs and Photography.  I really loved hearing the newbies take on what got them into costuming and what their feelings were.  So newbies or newborns, I welcome you with open arms to costuming and can't wait to hang out with you guys more.  I will admit that half of the people though they are signed up with the Facebook group I have no idea on who you are but anyways, shout out to you guys for being 105th!!!  Also, it was interesting watching Formal get plasted and face casted, no doubt the pics are posted in the 105th Facebook Group.

After our usual potluck dinner we then had Karaoke.  It was entertaining even though I had my Ipod going for most of the songs.  Yes, it was weird seeing  Nick aka "Captain Handsome/America" singing a certain song but it did put a smile on my face.  Now one of the things that I'm known for is shyness and when I'm alone I can definitely sing but singing Karaoke yeah shy.  I'm so scared and yes I wanted to do it to pull me out of my shell more so yes Formal had me sing Pat Benatar's "Invincible" which in private I can really belt it out but me being shy and unsure yeah....though I will admit this... I had fun doing it.

Of course I couldn't stay past eight with it being a school night but I want to say that I had a blast and it was one of the better Cons that I've attended even if it was 40 people.  It just goes to show you don't need to go to a bigger Con to have a good time.  That's why I like smaller cons because it's more intimate.  I'm not sure how I would react to a larger con say like DragonCon, NYCC or SDCC because of the geek overload and the crowds.  However, maybe that's the next step in pulling me out of my shell.

Again, I want to say thanks to everyone for being so inviting and charismatic   I truly enjoyed myself at the 105th Con and I look forward to more events like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment